Thursday, January 10, 2013

Jan. 10, 2013- Setting Realistic Goals

          Talk about feeling the burn! While on the mat this morning I couldn't help but to think about my muscles which were on fire. From my neck to my toes, everything was burning. Not a bad burn but you always hear Yogis talking about awaking that "inner fire" well today that fire was undoubtedly lit. As I sit here and reflect on this morning, I can't help but to smile. Each day I notice the smallest of changes. I'm grateful for them of course but it is a keen feeling to know that what you thought was impossible yesterday was obtainable today. 

           Like today I've noticed I'm able to bend a little deeper in my forward bends. Or how my shoulders, chest, and upper back feel stronger. The biggest change was how my downward dog has become easier. It's still not one hundred percent but I've noticed my heels are only a half inch from the floor now and my shoulders are rolling down my back instead of squeezing the crap out of my neck. Most people might think "big deal" you can "almost" do one of the most basic poses in yoga. But for me, it leaves a huge smile on my face. On day one I never thought by early January I would be this far to having it right. After seeing that slight improvement I felt a little froggy and tried to "float forward" during my vinyasa. Which turned out to be a total fail by the way. My floating was more of a bunny hop. There was no lightness about it. I wasn't even close to looking like I floated. In fact, I can't help but to giggle because I probably looked silly even trying it. I know that floating requires strength in the shoulders, arms, and back. More than what I have at this time. Which is fine by me because I know it will come in time. So who cares if I looked silly because trying is the only way to know if you're ready for it. 

            So with 2013 being my year for self improvement I wanted to do something that is unlike my normal self. I'm not one to set goals for myself because I'm always ashamed when I don't complete them. But I need something to work for in my yoga practice. So I'm going to set a goal, I'm hoping it will give me the drive to do my very best. So here it is, by the spring equinox, which is March 20th I want to have Surya Namaskara A and B to full perfection. I also want by this time to have the strength to float forward (without looking like a rabbit) and to be working on my jumping back and through. 
  
            Another thing I want to improve on is this self body image I have going on. I'm trying to come to terms that since becoming a mom my body will never be the same. I really need to get over this so I want to be brutally honest with myself. So I'm putting my measurements on here in order to track my progress and some good ole fashion public humiliation. So here it goes.... I'm 5'8" and I weigh 154lbs. My natural waist is 30". My hips are 38". Each thigh is 24". My arms are 12" and my chest is 33".  Which puts my BMI at roughly 23.4, which for my size is considered "Normal". But I sure do not feel "Normal", I want to be lean and fit! While my body might not sound horrid to most people, this is the biggest I've ever been in my life. I've taken a photo to see where I started and maybe one day I'll be brave enough to post it on here. But today is certainly not the day.  On that note, tomorrow is a New Moon which means a break from physical practice. 


No comments:

Post a Comment