Saturday, January 12, 2013

Jan. 12, 2013 - Lesson 2- Finding the Balance


          So its Saturday which means a day of resting. It just so happens to be on the back of a Moon Day.  I woke up this morning and felt so stiff and sore. I managed to drag myself from the warmth of my bed and sat quietly on my mat. After a few moments of pure silence, I started reciting my prayers. I would of loved to stay in that moment for a while longer, but with children around on a non-school day things quickly turned to loud and chaotic. So giving thanks for the knowledge and guidance I was given. I got up and started my pot of coffee and just listened as my three year old and my ten year old started to fight over the smallest things. With a quick intervention from mom they calmed down and returned to getting along.

          As I turned to walk away, I couldn't help but note how everything in this world needs balance. From relationships to daily life. As a mom, I find myself always trying to balance everything. From household chores, to children fighting, to finding that inner peace, I mean I even find myself balancing on my head. So with screaming hamstrings, I find that I even need to balance my practice. Since I've started yoga, I find that mostly what I've been working on is to elongate my hamstrings and open my hips. After two days of not practicing and doing what my body has became use to, I'm stuck with soreness and stiffness. Why? Even the internal body needs balance. Just like with our forward bends, we back bend to counter that motion, bringing our body back into balance. We practice and rest, bringing ... you guessed it... BALANCE. Even my screaming hamstrings need balance; a concept I didn't even think about until now. All this focus on my hammies and now I'm paying for it.. Say hello to my new friend.. Icy Hot. 

            So how do we balance our muscles when one seems to be the prime focus? Just like all things in this world, even our muscles have an antagonist. If you don't use the antagonistic muscle, your throwing your body out of order. Like in my case, my hamstrings, what is the antagonistic muscle to them? The quadriceps. In yoga we both elongate and strengthen our muscles. But what happens within the muscles? We are really causing the fibers in our muscles to pull, thin, and rebuild. Thus giving us strength and flexibility. So by focusing on the protagonist, in my case the hamstrings, and almost ignoring the antagonist, the quads, my hamstrings are elongating and my quads are constricting. This can be very bad. By ignoring one or the other can lead to a very common injury, the ever so evil "pulled muscle". Pulled muscles are not fun, they are extremely painful and take their time healing. So the best way to avoid conflict is by targeting both the protagonist and antagonist. Bring balance back into play. 

            Best way method I've found for stiff, sore, tight hamstrings is what I call the "Burning Squat". I'm pretty sure there might be a yoga pose for my version of the burning squat but until I know the proper name for it, we'll just call it that, Burning Squat. It's simple and allows the hamstring to relax on its own by engaging the quads. I tend to use this on very sore days while I'm watching TV (like today).  Note: I'm not a teacher, nor am I responsible for any damages. If you try this, it is at your own risk! I'm just telling you what works for me. Begin by sitting down on a chair or the sofa with legs hips distance apart and knees directly over the ankles forming a 90 degree bend, fold forward with a straight back until your ribs are touching your thighs, fingers touching the floor in line with your toes. The key to this is the flat back and your ribs to remain in contact with your thighs. Now lift your bottom off the chair or sofa, and lift your toes off the floor with your weight in your heels. Maintain that flat back, coming up to your finger tips if needed. Now remain here for a while. You should feel your quads begin to burn, breath through it. I tend to take between 25-30 breaths here, or until my legs begin to shake. Now your hamstrings might burn a little at first, that is okay too. Once you've taken as many breaths as you can or can't stand the burning anymore simply return your toes to the floor and sit back down on your sofa or chair. I wouldn't remain seated for too long. It is best to get up and walk around to judge if your hamstrings are still tight and sore. If they are, simply repeat the burning squat until your hamstrings relax and release.  

            So the lesson for today... No matter how focused you are, always bring yourself back to balance.

2 comments:

  1. "screaming hamstrings" hahaha, you have just described my practice :)

    Nice post!!!

    ReplyDelete