Monday, January 14, 2013

Jan. 14, 2013- Torn

After a very long and eye opening conversation with my friend today, I've come to ponder the idea of taking a class or two. She helped me understand that while my practice is good and I'm making the effort to apply all techniques that I can, there are still some things I need help learning in the physical practice. She gave me a ton of pointers on how to better my downward dog and other tips on the beginner poses. Some days I wish I still lived close to her. While the pointers on the phone are wonderful, I wish I had her close by to share this with me. But she suggested I take a few classes. Even though I'm totally head over heels with Ashtanga, in my local area yoga has not caught on like most metropolitan areas. There is only one yoga studio in town and they don't offer a style even close to my beloved Ashtanga. So what do I do? Do I take a class in a style in I don't follow or agree with? I'm really torn about this because I do need the extra help but at the same time I don't want to give up my spiritual side of yoga. Last thing I want to do is walk in a class where a teacher is yelling out "PLANK" "CHATURANGA" "PLANK" "CHATURANGA".. in the words of my friend "If I wanted to do push-ups, I'd go to boot camp!" .. But honestly she is right, that is not my idea of yoga either. I'm debating taking a class in San Antonio where they offer Ashtanga. However San Antonio is two hours away (right up the road in Texas terms) and money is tight these days but even then do I go straight for a Mysore class or try a guided primary or do I suck it up and go locally? So many questions, not enough answers. I know the practice is mine and I can make whatever I want out of it, but tonight I'm left feeling lost, alone, and torn. =(

6 comments:

  1. Hello Jen,
    I think I understand your situation; I practice mostly by myself too, and it's challenging, especially when I have to work with injuries or other challenges in practice.

    But I think your friend is right; it's good to have a teacher look at your practice every now and again. At the very least, you can gain something from the energy of a mysore room.

    I'm not sure where exactly in Texas you are, but I know that there are a couple of good Ashtanga studios and teachers in Austin. Shelley Washington, an authorized teacher, has her shala there:

    http://www.ashtangayoga.info/yogi-finder/yoga-teacher-and-classes/item/shelley-washington-austin-ashtanga-yoga-productions/

    And I think you should go straight for a mysore class. Just do whatever you can.

    In the meantime, keep practicing by yourself. You are inspiring many people with your practice and blogging.

    I hope this is not too much information.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, and as a, ahem, Kino groupie, I'd also like to add that Kino goes to Texas (both San Antonio and Austin, as well as Dallas) to teach workshops. Maybe you can check out her schedule, and save for her next workshop? Here's her schedule for 2013:

      http://www.kinoyoga.com/event_year/2013/


      Delete
    2. Nobel, It just so happens I'm about the same distance to both SA and Austin. I'll keep Shelley in mind. Austin has an amazing vibe about it, so I'd really love to go there instead. I'm gonna check out Kino's page for when she is in the area. Who knows maybe one day I'll travel to FL for a vacation to see her. The info you gave me is perfect to get me started. And most importantly thank you for your support. I was feeling a little blue today, but your post really lifted my spirit. Here I was thinking how alone I am in this and you truly reminded me on how I'm not. I never thought my blog would be seen by so many people. The best part is finding people that have been where I am or who can learn from my story. Plus the support network that comes along with it. I'm glad I'm able to share my story. I mean every epic adventure needs to be shared, right? Lol.. On that note, thanks again.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Nobel on the Mysore class, although a good led class once in a while is pretty awesome too. I was in San Antonio and I almost, but not quite made it to the ashtanga studio there. I'd be curious to hear about it. Shelley Washington is amazing, Kino is legendary at this point, I love both of them and you'd learn a ton from either one. It's really hard to maintain yoga with little kids, but on the other hand, I can't imagine raising children without a yoga practice to keep me solid and real. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And here's another thought from a non-Ashtanga fundamentalist. I found vinyasa yoga first, here in the Boston area, from a Baron Baptiste video. I then took vinyasa yoga aka power yoga or "hot" yoga, whatever you call it, it all derives from the same source, really. But I learned, I learned a lot, and finally did my 200 hour teacher training with David Magone in a style called PranaVayu. Which, as it turned out, was excellent preparation for David Swenson and Shelly Washington's 40 hour teaching immersion in first series, which has led to other things now.
    But, I still teach a vinyasa class because it's popular, I enjoy it greatly, and it's not easy to find a job teaching ashtanga. I teach sun salutations ashtanga style, and consider that my class in many ways will prepare students to walk into the led first series class that my boss and teacher holds at our studio. It turns out that I enjoy creating new sequences, which you can't do in Ashtanga. So you could try some vinyasa classes locally. Talk to the teachers, there might be one who has some ashtanga experience and sort of gets it. And you can always learn from teachers you don't care for either, getting very clear about what you don't like. It's good to practice alone, but it's also good to practice in a class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jen, I practice alone too. It is hard but blogging helps for motivation.

    I put you on my blog-roll list. You have wonderful blog.

    ReplyDelete